Manufacturers are increasingly leveraging the power of mobile technology to improve efficiency and maintain a competitive advantage. The use of cumbersome, paper-based processes for checking and reporting quality issues undermines efficiency and transparency. A system that allows data collection on mobile devices, such as tablets, shortens a two-step process into one simple step.
Using this technology, remote personnel can collect, aggregate and share information with colleagues or superiors in real-time. Widespread adoption of mobile enterprise quality management system (EQMS) software, allows quality professionals to enjoy unlimited access to a sound, efficient quality process while on the go. These systems can minimize risks associated with human error due to double entry of data.
Advantages of Mobile QMS Software
Mobile QMS provides a number of operational benefits to organizations involved in the manufacturing sector, including ensuring that accurate information is delivered efficiently to relevant parties at the right time. The system functions as a central hub that transmits notifications regarding changes to products or components. Oftentimes, the information needs to be relayed accurately and quickly. Many manufacturers are faced with the burden of dealing with product recalls. The impact of these developments can be far-reaching, including causing considerable damage to the brand reputation, financial loss, and order cancellations. In some sectors, the cost of recalls may even involve fatalities.
Advanced quality control measures counteract the possibility of product recalls in various industries, including food and beverage, automotive and medical device sectors. Quality is a necessity that safeguards lives and the bottom line. Mobile technology prevents an issue from escalating by enabling faster delivery of critical information. This allows relevant parties to take timely remedial action. Improved mobility eliminates the need for quality professionals to remain tethered to desktop computers to access vital information, enabling managers to review and approve quality tasks remotely. Incidents can be reported in real-time, and the system enables the attachment of photos to improve clarity.
Some of the problems alleviated by the use of mobile technology include:
- Lack of a central data repository and feedback system that works in real-time.
- Poor communication between team members.
- Considerable time requirement for inspecting and reporting issues; first on the production line and then later in the document management process on the desktop computer in the office.
Characteristics of an Effective Mobile QMS
Although mobile QMS programs may not provide access to the full functionality, they help address many quality issues remotely. When evaluating systems, be sure the finalists satisfy the following requirements:
- Compatible with Multiple Devices – A good mobile quality management software provides flexibility by enabling access using a comprehensive set of tablets and smartphones.
- Offline Capabilities – The software needs to provide offline functionality to cater for situations when an internet connection is unavailable or not required; the system automatically syncs the data once the device is online.
- Streamlined Interface – A well-designed mobile QMS interface ensures a high level of functionality and ease of use.
- Built-In Risk Management Tools – The integration of quantitative risk assessment tools helps quality managers make well-informed decisions that take into account the risk associated with various remedial actions.
A good mobile quality management system comes with a layer of security to protect sensitive and confidential data. Robust security protocols prevent unauthorized access in the event that the device gets lost or stolen. Multiple layers of encryption protect data between the network and the mobile device. User login credentials also add another protective layer to the application.
The future of mobile QMS looks bright as more manufacturers adopt mobile technology into quality procedures. Mobile devices have the capacity to handle the entire workflow of a quality issue.
For additional help or information on how to implement QMS software to achieve your full potential, don’t hesitate to get in touch with CEBOS at email@example.com or (810) 534-2222.